Thursday, October 28, 2010

Subway Art Sign


ETA: I decided to share this with Sarah's Before and After party on the Thrifty Decor Chick site.


I was feeling a little ambitious on Sunday and decided to try my hand at a Subway Art sign. I've long since admired them all over blog land and had been meaning to make one some day. Well, that some day was Sunday...and Monday...and Tuesday...AND Wednesday! I am generally more of an instant gratification kind of girl and don't usually have the patience for a four day project.

For the most part I followed this tutorial, except I used a canvas instead of wood and cut the letters out on my Cricut.

Before:




I used this old printed canvas rescued from the garage sale pile in the basement. (So glad now I didn't actually have that garage sale this summer!)



I had to prime it MANY times due to the bright colours underneath.


Lining up the letters (Monday night). This process took a long time as once measured I had to place them back on a cutting mat to apply transfer tape over top, then back to the canvas to adhere. Despite careful measuring and planning I do have some uneven spacing and slightly crooked words (cherish in particular drives me batty).

I spray painted the entire thing black on Tuesday evening and carefully removed the letters once it dried.



Despite using a brayer some of the spray paint leaked beneath the vinyl. I used a Sharpie paint pen to clean the letters up (Wednesday evening).

After:



And finally hung it tonight! Here it is in our nook off the kitchen.




I absolutely love it, crooked words and all :)

Thanks so much for peeking!

6 comments:

  1. It is AMAZING!! Seriously.....I am in awe. I LOVE it and it's so perfect. You're on crack if you are seeing crooked words. And I'm so impressed you hung it in your kitchen area....perfection! Oh and just look at those gorgeous LC's in the hutch. Heaven!

    ReplyDelete
  2. it looks fabulous-and the crooked Cherish is not even noticeable!

    ReplyDelete