ETA: I decided to share this with Sarah's Before and After party on the Thrifty Decor Chick site.
I was feeling a little ambitious on Sunday and decided to try my hand at a Subway Art sign. I've long since admired them all over blog land and had been meaning to make one some day. Well, that some day was Sunday...and Monday...and Tuesday...AND Wednesday! I am generally more of an instant gratification kind of girl and don't usually have the patience for a four day project.
For the most part I followed this tutorial, except I used a canvas instead of wood and cut the letters out on my Cricut.
I used this old printed canvas rescued from the garage sale pile in the basement. (So glad now I didn't actually have that garage sale this summer!)
I had to prime it MANY times due to the bright colours underneath.
Lining up the letters (Monday night). This process took a long time as once measured I had to place them back on a cutting mat to apply transfer tape over top, then back to the canvas to adhere. Despite careful measuring and planning I do have some uneven spacing and slightly crooked words (cherish in particular drives me batty).
I spray painted the entire thing black on Tuesday evening and carefully removed the letters once it dried.
Despite using a brayer some of the spray paint leaked beneath the vinyl. I used a Sharpie paint pen to clean the letters up (Wednesday evening).
And finally hung it tonight! Here it is in our nook off the kitchen.
I absolutely love it, crooked words and all :)
Thanks so much for peeking!